Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin - Family Support Centre

New in Berlin

Are you and your family planning on moving to Berlin or have you just moved here recently? This section will provide you with helpful information and an overview of important service points for your stay here.

Family in Berlin

Initial information on family activities, childcare and schools in Berlin, as well as useful links to other services, can be found on the website provided by Berlin Partner.

Counselling for internationals at Humboldt-Universität

Orbis Humboldtianus” – or “Orbis” for short – is an international club that offers a variety of services and assistance to international students: an info desk, a mentoring programme, a language exchange service, a visa service, organised trips and events. You can even do your Anmeldung, i.e. register as a resident of Berlin, at its mobile registration office.

International Scholar Services (ISS) help foreign doctoral students and researchers to quickly settle into university life and the city. They provide you with a plethora of information on subjects such as obtaining a visa and health insurance, finding a flat, registering as a resident of Berlin, opening a bank account and paying the universal broadcasting fee.  

Family flats with studierendenWERK Berlin

studierendenWERK Berlin offers affordable housing options for students enrolled at Berlin universities. One of these options is family flats. However, due to the high demand, only families in which both parents are students at Berlin universities are eligible for them. Please note that you may be on a waiting list for a number of semesters.

Childcare, school and free time

Click on the “Childcare, School and Free Time” page of this website to find comprehensive information on leisure activities for families as well as Berlin’s childcare and school system. There is also information on changing schools and schooling for children without any German language skills.

Please note that your child needs to be officially registered as a Berlin resident before you can apply for a childcare voucher (Kita-Gutschein) or sign him or her up for school. The Family Support Centre is happy to advise you on these issues.

Due to the city-wide childcare shortage in Berlin, we recommend that you start looking for a childcare centre as early as possible. It is also important to factor in your child’s roughly four-week mandatory settling-in period (during which time at least one parent must be present/available).

Financial support

Your eligibility for government-subsidised family benefits (see the “Financial Support” page for students or employees) depends on your nationality and type of residency permit. The Family Support Centre is happy to advise you on your application for benefits such as the child or parental benefit (Kindergeld or Elterngeld).


Topics and points of contact at Humboldt University


Point of contact

Registering as a resident of Berlin

International Department

Career and Family

Personnel Division, Family Support Centre

Family benefits (e.g. child benefit, parental benefit)

Family Support Centre


Family Support Centre

Childcare voucher

Family Support Centre

Finding a childcare centre

Family Support Centre

Health insurance

International Department

Maternity protection for employees

Personnel Division, Family Support Centre

Maternity protection for students

Academic Affairs, Family Support Centre

School system

Family Support Centre

Tax ID

International Department

Studying and family (compensation for disadvantage, etc.)

Family Support Centre, Compass


International Department


International Department